1031 Exchange Opportunities – What Are You Selling & What Do You WANT It to Be? 121 vs. 1031

While many individuals buy their first homes for investment purposes, a primary residence still does not qualify for a 1031 exchange as “investment property.” The IRS created Section 121 to provide a tax savings for people selling their primary residence.

Section 121 allows an individual to sell his/her residence and receive a tax exemption on $250,000 of the gain as an individual and $500,000 as a married couple. To be eligible for this tax savings, the home must be held as a primary residence for an aggregate of 2 of the preceding 5 years.

It is possible to combine both Section 121 and Section 1031 on a primary residence under specific circumstances. Examples of these circumstances include:

  • A working farm containing the farmer’s residence—the working farmland falls under Section 1031 and the farmer’s house falls under Section 121.
  • A duplex or similar plex with one unit being owner occupied (Section 121), the balance held as investment with tenants (Section 1031).
  • A residence (Section 121) containing a home office or land that could be partitioned (Section 1031).
Read the Full Transcript

Protect your investments with the professionals at Equity Advantage. Their team of experts know exactly what to do with a 1031 Exchange transaction. Call 503-635-1031 for all the details!